Bikes In Bulgaria


I was amused by the literalness of this bike lane in the capital, Sofia. It's cool that the city even has bike lanes.

Just returned from a week or so touring around Bulgaria with friends.

One of the things that struck me was how many people use bicycles for their daily transportation. I saw a lot of different bikes being ridden by a lot of different riders.

The very young and the very old. The fit and the fat.

It's a poor country.

I also saw lots of donkeys and horse-drawn wagons on the streets of various villages we'd pass through. So perhaps people are riding bikes because they can't afford cars.

But I like to think it's because riding a bike to the shop or to work makes perfect sense and that Bulgarians haven't yet succumbed to Western-style laziness.


I loved the funky green bike ridden by this guy in the northern city of Ruse (above and below).

Comments

Popular Posts